This course examines how narrative films are conceived and crafted by developing an understanding of the underlying principles of filmmaking. These principles will be explored through a series of practical exercises based around the key creative components of filmmaking, leading up to the production of a short film of the student’s own devising.
Note: We offer two classes in this subject area, Film Studies and Film Making. For the majority of students, we advise against taking both classes at the same time. If you plan to take each class in a different term we normally advise you to choose Film Studies first.
Part One The Principles of Film Language
Part Two Preliminary Exercises: Camera, Editing and Sound
Part Three Short Project (to be set by the tutor)
Part Four Story Structure and Storyboarding
Part Five Designing the Production
Part Six Major Project (to be devised by the student)
- To understand the basic principles of filmmaking
- To develop skills in the construction of a narrative screenplay
- To develop skills in planning, shooting and editing a short film
Students will be able to:
- think critically and analytically about film, narrative structure and the creative process
- learn about and practise key filmmaking techniques
- articulate their understanding of how the key elements of film are put together and how they affect audience response
- understand the craft of filmmaking sufficiently to enable them to go forward and make their own short film projects
40% of the final grade will be derived from an ongoing assessment of how well the student prepares for class, and on how they demonstrate their understanding of the key elements of film via a series of short set exercises. The remaining 60% will be based upon the final creative project which will be of the student’s own design.
This class is normally delivered over one term, with 90 teaching contact hours or equivalent in the Michaelmas term, and 60 teaching contact hours for Hilary and Trinity terms. For students requesting credit, we recommend the transfer of three college credits for Michaelmas and two college credits for Hilary and Trinity, on successful completion of the class.
|DISTINCTION||Demonstrates a highly sophisticated grasp of the underlying principles of|
|filmmaking; completes the production of an excellent final project at the end of|
|CREDIT||Demonstrates a good grasp of the underlying principles of filmmaking;|
|Grade B||completes the production of a good final project at the end of the course.|
|MERIT||Demonstrates a sound grasp of the underlying principles of filmmaking;|
|Grade C||completes production of a competent final project at the end of the course.|
|PASS||Engages with some of the key principles of filmmaking; poor level of|
|Grade D||competence evident in final project.|
|FAIL||Does not grasp the key underlying principles of filmmaking; fails to produce a|
|completed project at the end of the course.|
Alexander MacKendrick – On Film Making Faber, 2004
Robert McKee – Story: Substance, Structure, Style and Principles of Screen Writing
David Mametn – On Directing Penguin, 1992
If you are unable to obtain books locally, they may be ordered from http://www.bookshop.blackwell.co.uk or www.amazon.co.uk